Wesleyan Reform Church, Low Moor

 
Low Moor Wesleyan Reform

The first Wesleyan Reform church was an offshoot of School Street Primitives and although "Wesleyan Reformers" date their origin from 1849, when there were expulsions and secessions from Wesleyan Methodism, the Low Moor Chapel came about as the result of a broken engagement in the 1870’s

At first, members met in homes, and around 1876 in a rented warehouse to the rear of Victoria Mills. Then they purchased the field adjoining the warehouse and here they built the first chapel, officially called Albert Street Wesleyan Reform Chapel in about 1879.  It was mainly a wooden structure entirely covered with corrugated iron sheets, and was widely known as the “Tin Chapel”

The present church was built on red shale hills off Manor Row which were bought from the Commissioners of the Church of England.  The church opened in 1929.  The Tin Chapel was later demolished and a row of houses built on the site.  These houses, too were demolished in the 1970’s.

The church closed at the end of June 2013 and extensive records, including the Registers  have been deposited with West Yorkshire Archives

The Baptism Registers start in 1879. There is no graveyard at this church.

 

HOME