Wesley Place Methodist Church, Low Moor

John Wesley visited Low Moor in 1747 and “regularised” the Methodist society there. They met in private houses and converted buildings until a purpose built church was erected in 1809. A Sunday School was added in 1877 and a graveyard in 1838. The graveyard was extended on two occasions. 

In 1905 the old church was demolished and a new Italianate building was erected. This building was demolished in 1959 and the congregation worshipped in the Sunday School until 1970 when the building became unfit for worship and they joined with Oxley Place Methodist Church and in 1970 the two churches chose a new name – Aldersgate. In 1974 a new building at the junction of Common Road, Cleckheaton Road and Netherlands Avenue was opened.

Baptism records date from 1809 when the first building was opened.
Regular burials begin in 1838, although there were six before that date.

 

Wesley Place New Church Wesley Place New Church

Above: Wesley Place Old Chapel, demolished 1905.

Right: Wesley Place New Chapel, demolished 1959

 

 

HOME