Wyke Methodist Church::

 
Wyke Methodists

Wyke Methodist Church
The Wesleyan movement held meetings in Wyke in the mid 19th century at a property in Wyke Lane known as Bink’s Cottage and later at the home of Joseph Clark near the Temperance Hall.  The original chapel was built in 1869 and was officially opened in 1871.  A Sunday school was added in 1913.  When dry rot was discovered in the church in 1988, the Sunday school was converted into a dual purpose building and the church demolished.  A large, distinctive house now stands on the site in Huddersfield Road.  The converted building is in Laverack Field and approached from Towngate.

Baptisms start in 1871 and will eventually appear on the site

There is no graveyard

 

HOME