St George, Norwood Green ::
 
  • menu
 

 

 

St. George’s Church, Norwood Green

The movement to build a Church in Norwood Green was initiated by “the Church people of the Green” when the Rev. Nathaniel Lindon Parkyn was the Vicar of Lightcliffe (1894-1897). A Mission Room was opened and it operated “for some twenty years” prior to the opening of St. George’s Church in 1908.

St. George’s was a mission church on Village Street in Norwood Green run by St. John the Baptist’s Church in Coley. It was designed by Messrs. Howarth and Howarth of Cleckheaton. The foundation stone was laid on 1st June 1907 by Lucy Watkinson, wife of George Watkinson (former Curate of Coley and then Vicar of Northowram). It was dedicated and opened by the Rt Rev. Rodney Eden, the Bishop of Wakefield, on the 15th February 1908. Some reorganisation took place in time for the dedication and the new Church transferred from the Parish of Lightcliffe to the Parish of Coley. An organ was dedicated in January 1916, donated by Miss. Sophia Ellis of St. Abb’s House in Buttershaw, in memory of her sister Miss. Grace Ellis.

The Church closed on 3rd November 2002 and it is now a private house.

 

The records are held at Wakefield archives, under reference WDP38/15. The Baptism register starts in 1911 and marriages in 1973. Prior to these dates ceremonies were probably carried out at either Lightcliffe or Coley. There was no graveyard at this Church.

 

 

HOME