Norwood Green Congrgationalist ::
 
 

 

Norwood green Congregationalist

 

Congregational Church, Norwood Green

 

The Congregational Church in Norwood Green began as a school which was built in 1819 under the influence of the congregation at Westfield in Wyke according to an account published in the Brighouse News in 1882. Parker (1900) is largely in agreement. Another version of the story is that Sunday School work began in 1831. The Church was built in 1882 of stone quarried in Lightcliffe. The foundation stone was laid on the 1st April 1882 and the Church was opened on the 26th August in the same year. They became a separate congregation in 1888. The building was extended in 1903 and Centenary celebrations were held in 1982 before the Church closed in 1995. The building then became the Cobbett Environmental Enterprise Centre where an environmental charity was based but they left in 2015 and it has since been converted into flats. 

The Baptism register starts in 1883. The records are held at WYAS Calderdale under the reference NG. There was no graveyard.

 

 

HOME