Buttershaw Congregationalist Church::

 
Buttershaw Congregationalsit Church

Buttershaw Congregationalist Church

The church has its origins in an 1865 visit to Shelf by a Congregational Home Missioner when Shelf Congregational Church was formed. During the period 1865 to 1870 the first church building was erected, but because of its position on Halifax Road in Buttershaw, it became Buttershaw Congregational Church. It was supported financially by James Bottomley of nearby Buttershaw Mills, as well as by other local leading non-conformists, Sir Titus Salt and John Crossley. A Sunday School was added a few years later which was also used as a day school. When dry rot was found in the building in 1984 it had to be demolished and was replaced by the present modern building which was opened in May 1986.

 

HOME